How to create a copy of existing Solr index
If you have an already existing Solr index and you want to try new settings, it is best to work and test on a copy Solr’s index first.
Here are the simple steps to make a copy of your Solr’s index:
Suppose we have already an index named cast and the copy will be named castSpell.
- Make new directory under solr (e.g. castSpell).
- Copy the entire directories conf and lib from cast to castSpell.
- Make new directory called data under the new directory castspell.
- Add to solr.xml your new index name: <core instanceDir=”castSpell” name=”castSpell” />
- Restart Jetty (e.g. sudo /etc/init.d/jetty restart)
- Go to http://localhost:8983/solr/castSpell/admin/dataimport.jsp?handler=/dataimport
- click on Reload-config
- click on Full-import
- continue to next step only after the status became “idle” (by clicking on Status).